Thursday, May 5, 2016

Congress dialing for dollars but won't pick up the phone for questions

With the recent 60 Minute piece on political party members and how the spend hours a day making calls to raise money and now The Stop Act has been created to stop elected members of congress from directly soliciting campaign contribution.


Congressman Gibbs
7th district of Ohio


As a Computer Assisted Reporting class we called Congressman’s press aides or communication directors in Ohio and Pittsburg to ask them four simple questions about the Act.

I was assigned to called Congressman Bob Gibbs of the 7th district in Ohio.

The Washington Office directed me to the legislative aide Addison Miller because the press aide, Dallas Gerber, was not available at the time. Unfortunately the intern Robert said that Mr. Miller wasn’t available either but if I sent an email he would be able to get back to me.

I sent Addison Miller and email explaining the project as well as an interview request and the four question on April 28th. I stated in the email to please reply by Monday May 2nd with either, the answers to the question or to contact me if he wanted to answer them over the phone. I even gave the option to reply with no comment, a simple opposed or with (the Stop Act). I also stated, “If I don’t receive a reply I would unfortunately have to report that Congressman Gibbs has no views on the Act”. It is now May 3rd and no one from the office of the congressman has returned my email or call.

I went to his website to see if there was any information regarding the act and there was no information about the Congressman and his views on the Stop Act.

I now have to report the Congressman Gibbs of Ohio’s 7th district has now opinion on the Stop Act.


No comments:

Post a Comment